[Harmony-users] Single Copyright for an Open Source Project

Carl-Heinz Genzel carl-heinz.genzel at hs-bremen.de
Wed Jun 10 11:13:01 UTC 2015

Hello,

my name is Carl-Heinz and I am currently trying to establish an Open
Source project.
In this regard, I am currently uncertain how to deal with additions and
changes of existing code by different contributors.
I want to avoid a long comment block in a code file listing all the
contributors, who might have made changes to this file, and their
copyrights.

Instead I like to add a copyright for the project in every file and list
the different contributors on a public project page
not mentioning every single change they did, but showing that they did
contribute to a certain part of the software.
On the opposite I have seen that the Apache Software Foundation states
something like the following instead of mentioning an explicit copyright:
"Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one or more
contributor license agreements"

I am not sure if I should use the project copyright or the approach of
the Apache Software Foundation and in which case a Harmony CLA or a CAA
would do the trick or if I am mistaken to use any of them.

I would appreciate your help on this to create a sound foundation for
the project and its contributors.

Best Regards,
Carl-Heinz Genzel

--