[Harmony-Drafting] Porting Harmony

James Vasile vasile at softwarefreedom.org
Thu Jan 12 11:28:47 UTC 2012

On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 19:17:55 -0500, Andrew Rens <andrewrens at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Walter
>
> You may have noticed that after porting the Creative Commons licenses to
> many jurisdictions that Creative Commons is now trying to create a single
> unified license that will be so effective in all jurisdictions that the
> need for porting is eliminated.

I've spent a lot of time on the cross-border issues at play here.
Porting is the heaviest weight solution that poses the greatest risks.
It's the solution that comes with a lot of problems, probably more than
it solves.

> I've ported a CC license and I believe that there are a number of arguments
> in favour of doing so.
> But there are also arguments in favour of developing a 2.0 set of licenses
> that will be so effective in all jurisdictions that the need for porting is
> eliminated.
>
> I am interested in what everyone on the list has to say about the specific
> shortcomings of the current licenses in different jurisdictions, since that
> would enable a better analysis of whether porting, or addressing those
> issues in 2.0 would be better.

Yes, identifying the problems would probably be the thing to do before
embarking on solutions.  One question worth asking is whether the
problems in this area are specific to countries or to borders.  Moving
a copyright across a US-Cuba border might look different than a UK-Cuba
border, for example.