[Harmony-Drafting] Licensing the agreements

Brown, Neil, VF-Group neil.brown at vodafone.com
Wed Jun 8 15:29:06 UTC 2011

Eben et al

I have not been involved in the Harmony process for a while, but have kept
my eye on as much of correspondence as I can, though.

> No Harmony agreement should be used unmodified

This comment intrigued me. My understanding was that, rather than creating
precedent agreements, the intention of the project was to minimise the
number of agreements which counsel would need to review, by creating a
series of standardised agreements, of the form of the Creative Commons
licences.

It is, of course, possible that the discussion has moved on, but I was under
the apprehension that there would be selectable elements, or different
agreements (just as one might select CC-BY-SA over CC-BY, in the Creative
Commons world), but that the text would be standardised.

If the intent is actually for some precedent documentation, with the
intention that it is always modified, such that, when I receive an
agreement, I need to review it in the same way I would any other
non-standard document, I see less advantage to the project.

Best wishes to all,

Neil

Neil Brown
Solicitor, Group Legal and Corporate Secretariat
Vodafone Group Services Limited

Mobile: +44 7769 5000 42
Fax: +44 1635 580857

E-mail: neil.brown at vodafone.com

Vodafone Group Services Limited
Registered Office: Vodafone House, The Connection, Newbury, Berkshire RG14
2FN Registered in England No 3802001

This message and any files or documents attached are confidential and may
also be legally privileged or protected by other legal rules. It is intended
only for the individual or entity named. If you are not the named addressee
or you have received this email in error, please inform the sender
immediately, delete it from your system and do not copy or disclose it or
its contents or use it for any purpose. Thank you.  Please also note that
transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free.