[Harmony-Drafting] Licensing for website content and agreements

Dennis E. Hamilton dennis.hamilton at acm.org
Wed Jun 8 15:28:21 UTC 2011

I don't understand how "GPL" is meant in this statement:

" a one line licence giving the right to use the Harmony document (the GPL approach)  is shorter than attaching a CC licence to the Harmony documents."

Do you have in mind a "GPL approach" that does not invoke one of the GPL license documents by reference?  If so, I have no idea what makes it the "GPL approach."

I declare CC-by licensing of all manner of documents, and it only takes one line.   That's where I am confused.  Why is it thought necessary to attach the CC-by license?  I don't think I've ever seen that done.

 - Dennis

EXEMPLARY DETAILS

Here's one one CC-by notice, at the very bottom of < http://nfoworks.org/>.  (I should update the symbol, now that they have nicer ones, but I needn't use the symbol at all.)

Here's the attribution clause on another, < http://odma.info/dev/devNotes/2007/07/d070701d.htm#Attribution>.   These documents are about software and the attributions are to specific versions of specific individual documents (web pages, here).

Because there is software involved, some documents provide two license notices, one that the document is under and one that applies to the software code that accompanies that document.  Here's one of those documents:
<http://odma.info/dev/devNotes/2006/11/ODMJNI100-0.58beta.txt>.
The software license notice is just before the CONTENT section.  The copyright notice and attribution details are found at the end of the file.

This is technical work and I'm fussy, so a level of engineering document control is involved here.  There's more verbiage because the pages are plaintext and I can' t take advantage of web hypertext linking.  The idea is for these documents and the packages of software to be usable whether on-line or off-line, and in print as well as in digital form when the digital form can be presented as human-readable text.