[Harmony-Drafting] Harmony DCO

Sat Aug 6 14:34:18 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-08-06 at 10:14 -0400, Richard Fontana wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 06, 2011 at 03:11:09PM +0200, Allison Randal wrote:
> > - We can just point people at the Linux Kernel DCO, but it was drafted for the
> > contribution policy of the Linux Kernel.
>
> While that's true, if you look at the DCO -- the 'certification'
> itself, that is -- it is not specific to the Linux kernel at all. It
> could be used by any open source project. In fact, I have recommended
> to a couple of projects that they use, or consider using, the DCO,
> without modification. So it's already reusable, and in fact it may
> have been the first (non-FLOSS-license) contribution policy document
> not worded for any specific project (though I doubt that was a
> conscious design of its drafters).

Actually, it was.  I thought we still had the history on the Linux
Foundation web site, since it was created by the OSDL general counsel
(Diane Peters) in collaboration with others, but it appears to have been
lost.  The original thought was that SCO type allegations could happen
to any open source project, so the DCO was designed to be
non-specific ... although the implementation (signoffs in the bitkeeper
logs) was crafted to the kernel.

James